Policarpo of Mendoza and Rodríguez was born in
Baiona in 1706.He was a Knigth of the famous Order of Carlos III
in 1781. He practised the literary degree in Santiago, and was
vicar – general of Oviedo and of its bishopric, and prebendary
of that cathedral.
A priori, in 1751, he was named Dean of the metropolitan church
of Santiago. He was the founder of the nunnery of that city, of
the children school of Mañufe, and of the religious services
at 11.00 hours celebrated daily in the old Colegiata of Baiona
and in the Chapel of Rosario. Mr. Policarpo left money to assist
these foundations, and to give a dowry to the orphans of Mañufe
and Baiona. He also left money to his relatives, and for those
who were not his relatives, he provided two posts in the nunnery
of Santiago which they could occupy whenever they wanted.
Mr. Policarpo of Mendoza was protector and founder of the School
Chapter of Baiona. In 1768 he started to build the house later
known as the Dean house, in the Plaza of La Fruta, nowadays known
as Pedro of Castro; there was an old house here that he bought
to Mr. Francisco Antonio of Araujo and Mosquera.
On the 6th of June, 1780, Sebastian González Nandín,
inhabitant of Baiona and residing in Cádiz, made a donative
of 12 spinning wheels in order to distribute between the families
who made use of them, and of 750 reals in order to hire teachers
to teach how to use them.
This information was told to Mr. Policarpo of Mendoza, in order
to make him to contribute to this labour; he accepted with pleasure,
as he thought it was a pious work with public validity.
In 1851, Miss Dolores Zúñiga of Navia got married
Juan Rodríguez, and she received from the steward and administrator
of the Municipal Council Charity of Baiona the quantity of 850
reals, as a relative of the Dean of Santiago, Policarpo of Mendoza.
It is ignored how the income of this foundation dissapeared,
to those inhabitants of Baiona who were poor and honest. Mr. Policarpo
of Mendoza died on the 17th of March, 1794, and was buried in
the Cathedral of Santiago.
The house was finally built in 1769, season known as the Hunger
This immovable named by then the Dean house or the Mendoza House,
was renamed in 1930 as the House of Besada and Isla, and time
before as the House of Pedro Castro, the Verísimas, and
nowadays as the Hotel and Restaurant Pazo of Mendoza and María
of the Espíritu Santo Rodrigo: he was inhabitant of Mañufe,
and was the court clerk (insolidum) in the Council of Gondomar
for a long time, by titles of his Majesty; she was born in the
House of Moreira, nowadays the Pazo of Mendoza in Mañufe.
It is said in the chronicles that Policarpo of Mendoza, illustrious
son of Baiona, was always willing to do his best. On the 16th
of May, 1783, he paid the glass windows of the harum – sacrum
of the Colegiata of Baiona, situated in the northern side of the